The technical bit. Regulation 7 of The Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999 states that “Every employer shall, subject to paragraphs (6) and (7), appoint one or more Competent Persons to assist him in undertaking the measures he needs to take to comply with the requirements and prohibitions imposed upon him by or under the relevant statutory provisions and by Part II of the Fire Precautions (Workplace) Regulations 1997.”
About the author
Simon Broome SIIRSM Tech IOSH has over 25 years' experience around risk management, honed through his industry background and working on operating software and management systems. He is a Specialist Member of the International Institute of Risk and Safety Management and a Technical Member of IOSH, and also holds the NEBOSH National Certificate in Fire Safety and Risk Management.
Read risk management articles by Simon
- Business Continuity Planning
- Health & Safety Bulletin - April 2019: HSE Intervention Enforcement Notices on the Increase
- Health & Safety Bulletin - April 2019: Notra Dame Blaze Highlights Risk of "Hot Works"
- Health & Safety Bulletin - May 2019: Recent Spate of Fires Caused by Electrical Faults Suggests Businesses Need to Check Electrical Systems
- Information Update - Health & Safety
- Insurance Update - Claims Defensibility Review Service
- Risk Bulletin - Health & Safety Competent Person
- Risk Alert – Why is it So Important to Have a Business Continuity Plan?